Traveling Nurse Salary and Benefits
Our travel nursing partners — American Mobile Healthcare, NursesRx, Onward Healthcare, and NurseChoice, offer four- to thirteen-week positions and the best traveling nurse salary and benefits packages in the industry.
Choose from thousands of travel nursing jobs across the country, and enjoy the adventure, experience and benefits of travel nursing.
Learn about travel nurse salaries, housing and the benefits of travel nursing by choosing from the categories below:
Travel nursing salary and bonuses
How Much Do Travel Nurses Make?
If seeing the country as a traveling nurse sounds intriguing, you’ll be happy to know that traveling nurse salaries are very generous.
In some cases, travel nursing salaries are higher than the pay rates for full-time permanent nursing jobs. For example, an RN’s travel nurse salary can reach as high as $48 an hour in specialty positions that include overtime.
- Generous traveling nurse salaries. Our staffing partners’ travel nursing salaries are among the highest in the industry, including a daily allowance for meals and incidentals. Travel nurses are usually guaranteed a minimum number of hours for every assignment, which can include overtime pay rates. In addition, when you work with our partners, you’ll be paid even if you’re called off because of low census. Check with a recruiter for specific guidelines regarding traveling nurse salaries
- Sign-on, completion and referral bonuses. Many of the facilities that our travel nursing partners work with offer sign-on and completion bonuses of up to $6,000. You can also earn bonuses by referring your friends and colleagues to our partners. When you refer someone, you’ll receive a bonus of $500 when that person completes a 13-week assignment. Talk to a recruiter for details about bonuses.
Insurance and retirement benefits for travelers
- Medical, dental and life insurance. Whether you need immediate health coverage, an affordable option for your family, or would like expanded dental coverage, our travel nursing partners provide a choice of plans to accommodate travel nurses. Our partners also provide basic life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment insurance coverage at no cost; free life insurance is contingent upon medical plan enrollment.
- 401(k) retirement plans. Many travel nurse companies offer 401(k) plans, including our travel partners — you can start contributing to a 401(k) plan with them on your first day of assignment. You can contribute up to $15,500, tax free; travelers 50 or older can contribute up to $20,500.
Travel nurse housing and expense reimbursement
- Free, quality housing. One of the best benefits of travel nursing is cost-free housing. Our travel partners provide you with private, comfortable, fully furnished accommodations — with premium appliances — in a convenient location, at no cost to you. In most cases, your utilities are covered, too. Or, if you prefer, you can stay with friends or arrange your own housing and opt for a generous monthly housing subsidy instead. Travel nurse housing differs from one company to the next, so talk to a recruiter for more details.
- Tax-free travel reimbursement. You don't have to worry about incurring expenses traveling to and from your assignments when you work with our travel nursing partners. They offer a travel tax-accountable reimbursement plan, which means you don’t pay taxes on reimbursements.
Services, support and special offers for traveling nurses
- On-the-job support, 24/7. Our travel nursing partners all employ clinical liaisons — skilled RNs with plenty of experience in different practice settings — who are available to assist travelers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you have any questions or need help with clinical issues, they’re always standing by and ready to assist.
- Direct deposit. Our partners offer the convenience and security of having your paycheck electronically deposited directly into your bank account. You don’t have to worry about checks getting delayed in the mail or making bank deposits.
- Cost-free continuing education. Staying abreast of healthcare innovations and changes is important for travel nurses. That’s why our partners ensure their travelers stay current by offering free contact hours though RN.com, a top-quality, accredited CE provider.
- Discounts. Our travel nursing partners also offer discount programs with special rates on cell phones, pagers, roadside assistance, luggage, health club memberships, and more.