Travel Nursing Agencies:
The First Step in Your Travel Career
Getting started is easy. Just follow these quick and easy steps to ensure that your travel nursing career gets off to the best start.
1. Choose a travel nursing company
The first and most important step is which travel nursing company to choose. With so many travel nursing agencies vying for your attention, it's crucial that you do some research and find the one that's best suited to what you want. Here are some pointers you should bear in mind when choosing a travel nurse company:
- Look for a company that knows the travel nursing business and has many years of experience under its belt. The established companies are the ones that health care facilities turn to most frequently for their RN staffing needs and, as a result, these companies have the largest variety of travel nurse assignments.
- Choose a company that listens to your needs and is able to offer choice travel assignments that match your personal and professional nursing career goals. Stay away from companies that try to force you into taking a nursing assignment in a location you're not interested in.
- Look for nurse staffing companies that show an interest in helping your RN career flourish. Ask them about travel nurse resources, free continuing education, 24-hour clinical support and loyalty programs.
- Talk to other nurses who are travelers, or have traveled in the past. Ask them what companies they recommend.
- TravelNursing.com works with the leaders in the temporary health care staffing industry. Visit our partners to find out more.
2. Complete an application
To put you on the fast track to five of the most respected, well-established travel nurse companies in the industry, we've provided you with the ability to apply to our travel nursing partners directly from this site in 3 easy steps. It's a great way to save you time and get you connected to the industry leaders. Completing an application does not obligate you to travel, but it does open the door to many choices and rewarding opportunities. This service is free and 100 percent confidential. Simply complete the online application and skills checklist to get started. Once the first two steps are completed, you will be matched with a travel nursing company that best meets your unique needs and professional goals! Then, you will be prompted to fill out the professional reference request form.
3. Chat with a travel nurse recruiter
Once the 3 steps are completed, you will be assigned a personal traveling nurse recruiter. You and your recruiter will work together as a team to find the travel RN assignments that best suit your skills, preferences and career goals.
4. Choose an assignment
Depending on where you want to travel and the type of facility where you want to work, you and your recruiter will narrow your search to a select number of facilities. Together you will discuss the advantages of each nursing job assignment, evaluate travel nurse salary, review the facilities' requirements and pinpoint the travel assignment that's best suited to meeting your needs. Remember, most facilities will require travel nurses to have at least 18 months to two years of recent experience working in an acute-care setting.
5. Telephone interview with the facility
The next step is a telephone interview with the facility you selected. Usually the nurse manager will conduct the interview. Your recruiter will help you prepare for the interview by giving you tips to help you land the job.
6. Accept the travel RN assignment
Once you're offered the assignment, your travel nurse company will help you with credentialing requirements and the licensure process in your assignment state. Housing managers will find you housing and will arrange for utilities and furniture delivery.
7. Let the adventure begin!
Pack your bags, hit the road and get set for a world of new experiences, friendships and career-enhancing opportunities. Your recruiter will stay in touch to ensure that everything is right for you and will help you with anything you need.